There were plenty of surprises with the second round of Class B rankings. Most notably, Blaine rose through the ranks to grab the No. 2 spot, just behind No. 1-ranked Chanhassen, which garnered all the first-place votes.
Anoka broke into the top 10 this week at No. 8, just behind Champlin Park, which had votes from all four pollsters this time. Northfield meanwhile clung to a spot in the top 10 but plummeted from the No. 5 spot.
Check out what each pollster thought this week.
Jon Sands — Victoria Vics
1. Chanhassen Red Birds
2. Blaine Fusion
3. Cold Spring Springers
4. Moorhead Brewers
5. Elko Express
6. Miesville Mudhens
7. Champlin Park LoGators
8. Anoka Bucs
9. Hampton Cardinals
10. Hamel Hawks
Matt Marek — Champlin Park LoGators
1. Chanhassen Redbirds — It’s going to take an extended cold snap to knock them out of the No. 1 spot and I don’t see that happening anytime soon.
2. Moorhead Brewers — Strong start for the Brew Crew with wins over their Moorhead brethren and Class C contender Bemidji.
3. Blaine Fusion — A sweep of St. Anthony isn’t the biggest eye-opener thus far … that would be a 12-2 mercy rule victory over Dundas.
4. Miesville Mudhens — A slow start by Mudhen standards, but still a club with plenty of veteran firepower. What contributions will they get from the youngsters this year remains to be seen.
5. Cold Spring Springers — Rolling with the traditional powers to round out the top five. Losing to a solid Hutch squad is nothing to hang your heads about.
6. Chaska Cubs — Played a very tough schedule to date and have quality wins against Hamel, Baseball 365, Tri-City and Waconia.
7. Elko Express — Take your pick for a second Section 1 team. All the teams in contention for the rankings have a good win or two, and meh losses. I’ll take Elko with its nine wins and pedigree.
8. Champlin Park LoGators — No comment.
9. Hampton Cardinals — There are about six or seven teams for these last two spots, but I’ll go with the Cards for their 17-1 drubbing of Elko.
10. Anoka Bucs — They don’t have what you would call a signature win yet, but they played Chanhassen tough and have taken care of business all year. Big game on Monday vs. Blaine.
Honorable Mention: New Market Muskies, Northfield Knights, Dundas Dukes, Hamel Hawks, Victoria Vics.
Aldon Severson — Northfield Knights
1. Chanhassen Red Birds
2. Moorhead Brewers
3. Blaine Fusion
4. Anoka Bucs
5. Elko Express
6. Cold Spring Springers
7. Miesville Mudhens
8. Champlin Park LoGators
9. Burnsville Bobcats
10. Hampton Cardinals
Kelly McMonagle — Moorhead Brewers
1. Chanhassen Red Birds — Three-time defending champs only blemish this year so far comes at the hands of Tri-City. They have three section games this week against Prior Lake, Excelsior, and host Chaska on Sunday.
2. Blaine Fusion — Fusion are off to a great start this season rattling off 13 wins in 14 games and the championship at the New Prague Tournament.
3. Miesville Mudhens — Started out Section 1B play at 3-0 including a 9-0 win over Dundas.
4. Elko Express — Another Section 1B team looking to follow up on their run to the state tournament last year. They have Miesville on Friday and Northfield on Sunday.
5. Northfield Knights — Yet another Section 1B team returns a talented lineup this year. Home dates this week with Victoria and Elko with a road game at St. Anthony in between.
6. Champlin Park LoGators — Been hearing a lot of good things about the LoGators this year so watch out for this bunch. Nice mix of youth and speed to go along with their veterans could be the recipe for a long playoff run in August.
7. Cold Spring Springers — Started out this season 5-1 after beating the Moorhead Brewers on Sunday.
8. Anoka Bucs — Bucs jumped out to a 5-0 record in Section 4B until they ran into Blaine last Sunday. They will look to right the ship at home this week against East Bethel and Burnsville.
9. Chaska Cubs — Cubs have started out 8-6 and have three road Section 3B games this week at Eagan, Burnsville and Chanhassen.
10. Hamel Hawks — Hawks are back in Class B sporting an 8-3 record to begin the 2021 campaign. Took home the consolation championship this past weekend in New Prague.
Class B rankings (As of June 18)(Pts)(Previous)
1. Chanhassen Red Birds (40)(1)
2. Blaine Fusion (34)(7)
3. Moorhead Brewers (25)(2)
4. Miesville Mudhens (24)(3)
5. Cold Spring Springers (23)(4)
5. Elko Express (23)(6)
7. Champlin LoGators (15)(9)
8. Anoka Bucs (14)(NR)
9. Chaska Cubs (7)(10)
10. Northfield Knights (6)(5)
Also receiving votes: Hampton Cardinals, Hamel Hawks, Burnsville Bobcats, New Market Muskies, Dundas Dukes, Victoria Vics