By Nick Gerhardt
The second round of polls didn’t pull any surprises with the top five spots staying pat but as the season wears on those top five spots will likely jumble a little more.
Both Chanhassen and Miesville reloaded for another run at a Class B title after the Red Birds rallied to win twice on Labor Day to usurp the Mudhens’ run of two consecutive titles. Chanhassen held down the No. 1 spot in this poll and Miesville remained at No. 2.
Moorhead has knocked on the door of the championship for the past four years with two runner-up finishes and two third-place finishes. The Brewers stayed at No. 3 in the rankings, followed by Northfield at No. 4, which has finished fourth the past two seasons.
Cold Spring remains a force year in and year out and the Springers stayed at No. 5 in the rankings.
The second half of the top 10 say Chaska move up to No. 6 and Forest Lake move to No. 7. Dundas slotted into the No. 8 spot while Blaine caught the No. 9 ranking and Elko claimed the No. 10 spot
Matt Marek - Champlin
1. Chanhassen - The rich get richer, as they add John Straka coming off a 7-year professional career, Chris Choles (NDSU, LHP) and Northern State Lefty Zach Hartford. Aaron Kloeppner from Champlin Park HS also joins the squad, as that makes three Champlin Park grads on the roster (NOTE TO SELF: get in touch with the CPHS coach).
2. Miesville - Tanner Vavra and Josh Rehwaldt add more thump to a solid a lineup. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a repeat of last year’s championship games.
3. Moorhead - A fixture on Labor Day weekend, I fully expect them to be back again. Additions from Bismarck State and NDSU look to fortify the veteran roster.
4. Cold Spring - A close loss to Minnetonka is the lone blemish thus far on the Springers schedule. Femrite already doing Femrite things with 10 Ks in 5 innings pitched.
5. Blaine Fusion - A 5-0 start to the season bumps them up the rankings including an impressive 14-4 win over a good Lyon's Pub squad. Justin Gominsky and Brent Tholen lengthens an already solid lineup.
6. Chaska - Athletic Park is back and so are the Cubs with a couple nice additions in the Edlefsons and Matt Halloran. Wins over the Minneapolis Angels and St. Anthony Hogs make up two-thirds of the 3-0 mark thus far
7. Elko - A 4-0 start for the Express with wins over Stockmen’s and Hampton, and a 30! run outburst against the Shakopee Coyotes.
8. Northfield - The core appears to return, as they have a 3-1 to start the season with a loss the Class A Minneapolis Cobras.
9. Forest Lake Brewers - Losses to Class A champs St. Louis Park and St. Anthony are nothing to be ashamed of. The Brewers typically get stronger as the season goes along. Again, most of the nearly all Forest Lake core returns with one addition in Century College arm Jackson Schneider.
10. Shakopee - Just two games thus far, but 30 runs in two games is nothing to scoff at. Not sure if Sheldon Miks is back this summer, but if he is, look out!
Eric Kraushar - Chaska
1. Chanhassen (Best team in state got better)
7. Cold Spring
10. Forest Lake
Kelly McMonagle - Moorhead
4. Cold Spring
7. Forest Lake
Aaron Olson - Shakopee
5. Forest Lake
7. Cold Spring
Class B Rankings (as of May 23)
1. Chanhassen (40)
2. Miesville (36)
3. Moorhead (31)
4. Northfield (24)
5. Cold Spring (22)
6. Chaska (17)
7. Forest Lake (13)
8. Dundas (12)
9. Blaine (11)
10. Elko (6)
Others receiving votes: Shakopee, Sobieski