By Nick Gerhardt
This round of polls gave us a new No. 1 and the same No. 1 as well.
Our pollsters decided to keep Plato at No. 1 despite a loss to Regal but this time the Bluejays are joined by New Market, which has gotten off to an undefeated start.
The Muskies’ rise meant Young America, ranked No. 2 in the last poll, moved down to No. 3. Kimball, which also ranked No. 2 in the last poll, slid down the rankings this time.
Another Muskies teams, Sartell, stayed at No. 4 after starting 3-1. Just behind Sartell is Buckman, which stayed put at No. 5 in this poll.
Hutchinson has gotten off to a stellar start by scoring 20 runs and allowing none in its first two games. The Huskies, though, remained at No. 6. Kimball slipped to No. 7 following a 3-0 loss to Watkins.
St. Patrick got a few more looks from the pollsters and climbed into a tie at No. 8 with New London-Spicer while Jordan rounded out the top 10 at No. 10. By the looks of it, there was plenty of competition for that final spot in the top 10.
Tom Elliott - St. Cloud
1. New Market Muskies (4-0) – With victories over Webster (10-2), Montgomery (8-2), the Prior Lake Mudcats (9-7) and Lonsdale (8-0), New Market takes over the top spot.
2. Sartell Muskies (3-1) – Sartell has beaten St. Augusta (3-2), Opole (7-0) and the Dassel-Cokato Saints (11-1). Only a Wednesday night exhibition loss to Class B power Cold Spring (6-2) mars the Muskies’ record. Sartell is host to the Omann Insurance Classic this weekend.
3. Hutchinson Huskies – Victories over Maple Plain (12-0) and Litchfield (8-0) mean Hutchinson’s off to a good start in 2019.
4. Plato Bluejays – Plato opened with an 8-2 loss to Regal. The Bluejays also have beaten Green Isle (10-8).
5. Young America Cardinals – I haven’t seen any scores yet, but the Cardinals made a nice state tournament run in 2018.
6. Buckman Billygoats (3-0) – Buckman has opened with wins over the Pierz Brewers (19-2), Royalton Riverdogs (4-2) and Randall Cubs (4-2). The Cubs’ win is noteworthy. Randall beat Sobieski 2-1 in Victory League play.
7. New London-Spicer Twins (2-0) – The eye-catching victory is a 6-3 win over the mighty Raymond Rockets. The Twins also have beaten the Awater Chuckers, 11-2.
8. Watkins Clippers (2-0) – Among Watkins’ wins is a 3-0 victory over the Kimball Express in Central Valley League play. The Clippers also have beaten the Pearl Lake Lakers, 6-0.
9. Pierz Lakers (3-0) – These guys used to call themselves the Lastrup Lakers, despite playing all their home games at Pierz Legion Field. So far this season, they’ve beaten the Pierz Bulldogs (10-0), the Flensburg Falcons (4-2) and the Upsala Blue Jays (7-5) in Victory League play.
10. Elrosa Saints (3-0) – The Saints have opened Stearns County League play with victories over the Greenwald Cubs (16-2), the Spring Hill Chargers (3-1) and the Meire Grove Grovers (5-1). The Spring Hill game features a traveling trophy, the ‘Old Keg.’ It’s an old keg that is painted half in Elrosa colors and half in Spring Hill colors. It’s a big deal in the Stearns County North Division.
Jason Kuerschner - Cologne
1. Plato Blue Jays – Are currently 1-1 overall but haven’t had a chance to really get things going as most of their games have been rained out. Still my pick for now as the No. 1 team but we will see how they navigated the always tough Crow River Valley South schedule this year.
2. Young America Cardinals – YA has also been snake bitten by good ole mother nature and some unfortunate scheduling of Norwood. As they are yet to play a game I am hard pressed to make any kind of a change for them out of the No. 2 spot, they also will have to play in the tough CRVL South where no games are gimmies.
3. Kimball Express – Have started out 2-0 so far although it is difficult to tell how their schedule is going as ScoreMonster can seem to figure out how to make the schedule flow correctly by dates? (Ed’s note: Schedules now appear in the correct order, fix came in after ranking were submitted)
4. Sartell Muskies – Currently 1-1 but that loss is to the Cold Spring Springers (B), so that could be a little bit misleading. Looking for another solid year from this group.
5. New Market Muskies – They have started the season 5-0 so far and if they can keep their player points down and stay Class C they are going to be a force to reckon with in late August.
6. Buckman Billygoats – So far 3-0 to start but they have a big day on Memorial Day as they play a doubleheader in Pierz, first against the Lakers (FKA Lastrup), and then against the Bulldogs. This should be a good early test to see if they can play for the top spot in the Victory League this year.
7. Hutchinson Huskies – Out to a perfect 2-0 start and have yet to give up a run after scoring 20 runs themselves. Looking for good things out of this team this season.
8. New London Spicer Twins – Have started the season 2-0 so far and I look for them to be as tough in league play this year as they were last season.
9. Lamberton Long Sox – Have started out 2-0 so far this season, I look for Lamberton to be battling with Sleepy Eye for the supremacy in the Tomahawk East this season.
10. Maple Lake Lakers – Have jumped out to a 4-1 record to start the season, I look for them to challenge Hutchinson in the North Star League
Honorable mention: Milroy Yankees, Red Wing, New Prague and St Patrick
Aaron Worm - New Prague
2. New Market
3. Young America
5. Sartell Muskies
6. St. Patrick
9. Fort Ripley
Chad Knutson - Heron Lake
1. New Market 6-0
2. Young America, have not played a game yet, loaded with talent
3. Plato, lost opener to Regal, but expect them stay in top 5 the whole year
4.Sartell Muskies, 3-1 Deminsky pitches perfect game
5. Hutchinson, 2-0 have not allowed a run
6. Kimball, 3-0 loss to a good Watkins team
7. Buckman 3-0
8. St. Patrick 5-0
9. Jordan 2-0
10. New London-Spicer 2-0
Honorable mention: Carver, Milroy Yankees, Faribault, Maple Lake, Red Wing, Ft. Ripley, Elrosa, Lake Henry, Fairmont, Milroy Irish, Brownton
Class C standings (as of May 23)
1. New Market (35)
1. Plato (35)
3. Young America (32)
4. Sartell (29)
5. Buckman (21)
6. Hutchinson (18)
7. Kimball (16)
8. St. Patrick (8)
8. New London-Spicer (8)
10. Jordan (5)
Honorable mention: Watkins, Pierz Lakers, Lamberton, Fort Ripley, Brownton, Carver, Milroy Yankees, Faribault, Maple Lake, Red Wing, Elrosa, Lake Henry, Fairmont, Milroy Irish, New Prague