By Nick Gerhardt
The region playoffs have started and teams are claiming their spots for the state tournament. This week’s poll some shuffling and saw three teams enter the top 10 from the previous poll.
Sobieski locked up a spot at the state tournament out of Region 8C and have dominated this season. Our pollsters had no doubt in naming the Skis the top team in Class C with all four selecting them for the top spot.
Two Muskies squads shuffled spots with Sartell climbing up to No. 2, displacing New Market, which held the spot in the previous poll. Sartell opens the postseason Saturday against Pearl Lake, while New Market claimed a spot in the state tournament Tuesday night with a 3-2 walk-off victory via a home run from Nick Rost to beat New Prague.
Jordan remained in the No. 4 spot and will open up the Region 6 playoffs Saturday against Lake Crystal in Jordan. The Brewers still have just one loss to a Class C team this season.
Maple Lake also remained in the same spot in the poll. The Lakers have the No. 1 seed in Region 12 and opened the tournament Wednesday with Maple Plain.
Plato claimed the top seed for the Region 7 tournament and stayed put at No. 6 in this week’s poll.
The Milroy Yankees climbed up to No. 7 this week while New London-Spicer slipped to No. 8.
Mora grabbed the No. 9 spot along with Buckman and Luxemburg locked up the No. 10 slot.
Trent Sukalski — Jackson
1. Sobieski Skis
2. Maple Lake Lakers
3. Sartell Muskies
4. Jordan Brewers
5. New Market Muskies
6. Milroy Yankees
7. New London-Spicer Twins
8. Plato Blue Jays
9. Lamberton Long Sox
10. Hadley Buttermakers
Jason Kuerschner — Cologne
1. Sobieski Skis – Continuing to dominate the Victory League and Region 8 at 20-0 and have actually qualified for the state tourney already. Next up for them is Buckman!
2. New Market Muskies – 25-5 as they are one win away from qualifying for the state tourney out of Region 3, dominated the DRS all year and beat Sartell Muskies earlier in the year.
3. Sartell Muskies – 21-3, picked up three wins since the last poll and are getting ready to compete in Region 11 as the top seed out of the Sauk Valley.
4. Jordan Brewers – 27-4, collected five wins since the last poll and still only 1 loss to a “C” team. They are the top seed out of the RVL into Region 6 as they go against the 13-60 in this region.
5. Plato Blue Jays – 17-1 and come into the Region 7C Tourney as the No. 1 seed, they have been off for a week and are scheduled to play a tough young Cologne Hollander team that pushed them earlier this season. Should be fun to watch!
6. Milroy Yankees – 21-5 overall, 12-0 in Corn Belt league play, already won their first region game and looking to advance to the state tourney.
7. Mora Blue Devils – 20-6 and one win away from qualifying for the state tourney out of Region 1
8. New London Spicer Twins – 20-3 the top contender out of the County Line league and they were undefeated in league play.
9. Maple Lake Lakers – 19-6 and the No. 1 seed in the North Star and Region 12.
10. Waterville Indians – 20-8 and tops in the 13-60 league, should contend with Jordan in the Region 6 tourney.
Honorable Mention: Buckman Billygoats, St. Patrick Irish, Bemidji Blue Ox and Lamberton Long Sox.
Aaron Worm — New Prague
1. Sobieski Skis – Only unbeaten team in the Victory League, Skis have already punched their ticket to state.
2. New Market Muskies– The Fish, regular season champions in the DRS, went 21-2 in league play.
With a mix of veterans and youth, and depth at pitching, New Market will be one of the favorites if it gets to state.
3. Sartell Muskies – 20-3, Muskies hold steady at the No. 3 spot.
4. Jordan Brewers – Winners of seven in a row, now 25-4 on the season.
5. Plato – Blue Jays finish with the best record in the Crow at 17-1.
6. New London-Spicer Twins – These Twins are playing a lot better than the ones in Minneapolis, still red hot going into postseason.
7. Buckman Billygoats – The Billygoats are back in the top 10, as they have clinched a spot to New Prague/Shakopee.
8. Luxemburg Brewers – Has won 7 in a row, including wins against Watkins, Kimball and the Cold Spring Rockies.
9. Milroy Yankees – Winners of 10 of 11.
10. Maple Lake Lakers – 19-6 on the season.
Tom Elliott — St. Cloud
1. Sobieski Skis – The top seed in Region 8C already has victories over St. Stephen (4-0) and Lastrup (11-1) heading into a winners’ bracket game at 4 p.m. Saturday at Upsala. The Skis are clearly one of the top contenders to win the state Class C title this year.
2. Maple Lake Lakers – The North Star League champs were to open play as the No. 1 seed in Region 12C against Maple Plain on Wednesday night. They are another state title contender.
3. Jordan Brewers – The Brewers have posted wins over Belle Plaine, Le Sueur, Fairfax and Gaylord since the last poll. They’re serious state title contenders, too.
4. Sartell Muskies – Sartell rolled through the Sauk Valley League playoffs, beating Clear Lake (7-1) and St. Joseph (4-0). The Muskies head into Region 11C in Watkins as one of the favorites.
5. New Market Muskies – New Market has taken a couple of hits since the last poll, albeit the losses were two very good teams (Elko, 7-1 in an exhibition game and St. Patrick, 3-1). Both Elko and St. Patrick are probably as good as many of the teams in this poll.
6. New London-Spicer Twins – The Twins have beaten the Willmar Rails and Norway Lake-Sunburg and will represent the County Line League well in the regional.
7. Milroy Yankees – This is another team to watch in region play. Milroy went 11-0 in the Corn Belt League. Their lone blemish of late was a 10-7 loss to Minneota.
8. Plato Blue Jays – The top seed in Region 7C from the Crow River Valley opens regional play against the Cologne Hollanders.
9. Richmond Royals – The Region 15C tournament in Farming, annually the state’s best-attended regional each year, features Richmond opening with Meire Grove on Saturday.
10. Cold Spring Rockies – Are the Rockies the best team in the Central Valley League? They earned the No. 1 seed heading into Region 11C play after winning two games in the league playoffs.
Class C Rankings (As of Aug. 1)
1. Sobieksi Skis (40)
2. Sartell Muskies (31)
3. New Market Muskies (30)
4. Jordan Brewers (29)
5. Maple Lake Lakers (21)
6. Plato Blue Jays (18)
7. Milroy Yankees (16)
8. New London-Spicer Twins (12)
9. More Blue Devils (4)
9. Buckman Billygoats (4)
10. Luxemburg Brewers (3)