By Nick Gerhardt
For the first time this season it wasn't unanimous but Miesville still kept the No. 1 ranking locked up in this week's poll. Northfield garnered a first-place vote in part because of its victory over the Mudhens. That win certainly helped the Knights, who made their first trip to state since 2004 last year, undo the top three rankings and vault them to the No. 3 spot after coming in at No. 6 in the June 13 poll.
Moorhead displaced Chanhassen at the No. 2 spot in this week's poll. The Red Birds had help the spot since the beginning of the season but the Brewers' undefeated record caught the attention of most of our pollsters.
Speaking of Chanhassen, the Red Birds didn't go far. They dipped to No. 4 after Cold Spring snapped their five-game winning streak last weekend.
The Springers moved down to the No. 5 spot following a trip down South where they faced Chaska and the Red Birds. They beat both by 6-5 scores and will return to the South Metro for the Coors Light Classic in Shakopee and Jordan where they'll get a crack at Northfield.
St. Cloud Beaudreau's climbed a spot to No. 6 and have a three-game winning streak. The Saints defeated a quality Luxemburg team in that stretch.
Blaine, which has played shorthanded due to injuries, dipped two spots down to No. 7 following an 8-4 loss to Chaska.
Those Cubs moved up to No. 8 while Shakopee moved up to No. 9 and Dundas dropped to No. 10.
Eric Kraushar — Chaska
1. Northfield: 16-2 record, split with Miesville (beat them 6-1 on June 17); allowed four runs in eight-game stretch.
2. Miesville: 15-2 record, five shutouts in June. Big walk-off win over Elko.
3. Beaudreau's Saints: 12-1 record, beat Chanhassen and Cold Spring. Scoring runs in bunches.
4. Cold Spring: 19-2 record — beat Chaska and short-handed Chanhassen 6-5 on back-to-back night. Love the dedication of veterans to travel.
5. Chanhassen: 15-4 record: all four losses by one run. Staff ERA of 1.50 and they should get Connor Herd and Michael Jensen for stretch run. If they hit, they win come Labor Day.
6. Moorhead: 14-0 record. Against who though?
7. Chaska: 15-7 record. Finding a way to win some games. Nice win over Blaine
8. Dundas: 20-6 record. Six-game win streak into July 4 game with Northfield
9. Blaine: 15-2 record. Outscored teams 121-48
10. Shakopee: 11-5 record. Led Miesville 9-3. Lost 10-9. They'll be there in the end …
Kelly McMonagle — Fargo/Moorhead
4. Cold Spring
8. Forest Lake
Aaron Olson — Shakopee
1. Miesville 15-2
2. Chanhassen 15-4
3. Moorhead 14-0
4. Cold Spring 19-2
5. Northfield 16-2
6. Blaine 15-2
7. Shakopee 11-5
8. Chaska 15-7
9. Beaudreau’s 12-1
10. Dundas 20-6
Matt Marek — Champlin
5. Cold Spring
9. Forest Lake
Class B Rankings (As of July 3)
Tiebreaker goes to the team with single highest vote
Cold Spring (27)
Other receiving votes: Forest Lake