Photo courtesy of the Republican Eagle
The Minnesota Baseball Association's quartet of Class B experts has assembled once again to release its rankings of the state's best 10 teams in the divison.
Despite receiving only one first-place vote, the defending-champion Miesville Mudhens retained the top spot, narrowly edging out the 2015 champion Dundas Dukes, whose three first-place votes were offset by one lower ranking.
The perennial powerhouse Cold Spring Springers fell just behind the Dukes to round out the top three.
Records may differ based on when rankings were submitted. For the most accurate data, visit mnbaseball.org
Eric Kraushar - Chaska
Matthew Marek - Andover
1. Dundas Dukes – The 2015 champs are making a strong push to get back on top. Quality wins up and down the schedule in a tough non-league and league slate
2. Cold Spring Springers – Not too often a team that’s undefeated after July 4 wouldn’t be #1, but I just feel the body of work is a little bit better for the Dukes.
3. Miesville Mudhens – One bad loss to Lake City, but otherwise business as usual for the Hens.
4. Chanhassen Cubs – Started a little slow, but have rattled off a 16-1 mark since starting 0-3. One of, if not the most, loaded roster in Class B.
5. Blaine Fusion – Arms for days, with a lineup to boot. Finding the right mix on the hill and in the lineup seems to be all that’s left to do for the regular season.
6. Moorhead Brewers – Pride of the Northland; will be there come Labor Day Weekend.
7. Chaska Cubs – Stumbled as of late, but three losses to quality opponents.
8. Northfield Knights – Was tipped off on these guys last summer, but they seem to be putting it all together this year. Big wins over Chanhassen, Elko and Shakopee Indians.
9. St. Cloud Beaudreau's Saints – Winners of 8 of last 10…starting to round into form
10. Brooklyn Park Norsemen – Despite not playing too many games, they get the nod over Elko and Shakopee thanks to a couple of quality wins over Blaine and Forest Lake.
Kelly McMonagle - Fargo
1. Dundas Dukes - 8 game win streak snapped by Northfield but still has them a the top of Section 1B. Busy weekend with both Austin teams coming to town followed by a showdown with Miesville on the road Sunday
2. Miesville Mudhens - Won 12 of last 13 to keep pace with Dundas in Section 1B. Big game on Sunday hosting the Dukes
3. Cold Spring Springers - Undefeated until loss against Fort Ripley. Heading to the Coors Light Classic this weekend
4. Blaine Fusion - 13 straight wins for the Fusion puts them at the top of Section 4B. Hosting Isanti and Brooklyn Park this weekend
5. Chaska Cubs - Fell to Dundas at the Town Ball Classic. On the road this weekend to Victoria and Eagan for a couple of Section 3B match-ups
6. Moorhead Brewers - Couple of 1 run losses on the season. Should find out more after a trip to the Coors Light Classic this weekend
7. Chanhassen Red Birds - Red Birds are scorching hot winning 14 in a row after starting the season 0-3. Undefeated at the top of Section 3B
8. Elko Express - Express have won 7 of last 8 with a shut out road win at Miesville puts them in the mix in a loaded Section 1B. Trip to the Coors Light Classic this weekend
9. Northfield Knights - Trying to keep pace with the leaders of Section 1B after a big road win over Dundas on the 4th of July. A trip to Miesville early next week will be key
10. St. Cloud Beaudreau's Saints - Comeback at Cold Spring came up just short
Aaron Olson - Shakopee
1. Miesville Mudhens
2. Moorhead Brewers
3. Chanhassen Redbirds
4. Cold Spring Springers
5. Chaska Cubs
6. Blaine Fusion
7. Dundas Dukes
8. Elko Express
9. Eagan Bandits
10. Northfield Knights
CLASS B RANKINGS (as of July 6)
Tiebreaker went to team with highest individual vote
1. Miesville Mudhens (36)
2. Dundas Dukes (34)
3. Cold Spring Springers (32)
4. Chanhassen Red Birds (26)
5. Moorhead Brewers (23)
6. Blaine Fusion (23)
7. Chaska Cubs (22)
8. Northfield Knights (9)
9. Elko Express (8)
10. St. Cloud Beadureau's Saints (4)
Also receiving votes: Eagan Bandits 2, Brooklyn Park Norsemen 1