Class B Super Section Details
There have been a lot of questions concerning the format for Class B this year. As in the past, Class B will play their regular Section tournaments. Each Section will send two teams on to represent their Section in the Super Sections.
Each Super Section will consist of four teams. The Super Section sites were chosen before the season started and they are Chaska, Cold Spring,Dundasand Miesville All sites will play the same format which is a four team double-elimination tournament the weekend of August 12-14. Here is the schedule for each tournament:
1) 1 vs 4 Fri, Aug 12 @ 6:00 P.M.
2) 2 vs. 3 Fri, Aug 12 @ 8:30 P.M. ( right reserved to switch times due to travel considerations )
3) Loser 1 vs loser 2 Sat., Aug 13, @ Noon
4) Winner 1 vs winner 2 Sat., Aug 13 @ 3:00 P.M.
5) Winner 3 & loser 4 Sat., Aug 13, @ 6:00 P.M. (loser eliminated)
6) Championship game Sun, Aug 14 @ Noon. IF game to follow @ 3:00 P.M. (All 4 sites to play tournament to completion , weather permitting)
There will be no Super Sections with two teams from the same Section. The team with the highest seed will always be the home team.
Tickets : $5.00 adults ( 18 & over), $4.00 Seniors (62 & over), $2.00 Kids ( 13 – 17) , 12 & under – free.
Seeding was also done before the season started and here is the way that the seeding ended up:
1. The 8 section champions to be seeded 1-8 by ranking of the sections themselves. This section seeding will be based on strength of state tournament records for each section team for all games covering the last 5 years. It was deemed very difficult and highly subjective to attempt a seeding this year based on 2011 records. Strength of section seemed a good alternative, providing a way to pre-seed the top 8 teams. Results : # 1 seed , Section two; # 2 = Section one ; #3 = Section three; #4 = Section seven ; #5 = Section four ; # 6 = Section eight ; #7 = Section five; # 8 = Section six.
2. Section seeds are as follows: The top 4 teams will be seeded in different sections in order of ranking . The top seed will pick first and will select its site preference. The #2 seed will follow and select its site preference. Then the # 3 seed will select its site preference, with the # 4 seed placed in the remaining super sectional site.
3. The next 4 teams will be slotted according to the following format: 1 vs 8 ; 2 vs 7 ; 3 vs 6 ; 4 vs 5 .
The 8 section runners-up were pre-seeded for 2011 by draw : #9 – Section 2 ; #10 – Section 4 ; # 11 – Section 8 ; # 12 – Section 7 ; # 13 – Section 3 ; # 14 – Section 1 ; # 15- Section 6 ; # 16 – Section 5.
4.Site A : 1 vs. 16 ; 8 vs 9 Site B : 2 vs. 15 ; 7 vs 10 Site C : 3 vs 14 ; 6 vs 11 Site D : 4 vs. 13 ; 5 vs 12
HOST TEAMS MAKING THE 16 TEAM SUPER SECTIONALS WILL PLAY AT HOME. (They will not necessarily be the top seeded team in their Super Section).
A seeding committee with meet by phone on Sunday, Aug 7th to work these formulas and make adjustments as needed. TEAMS ADVANCING WILL BE NOTIFIED BY PHONE AND BY EMAIL.
This year’s Class B State Tournament is a two week affair. The first round of the State Tournament will be played on Saturday, August 20th in Hutchinson. The second round of the B State Tournament will be played at Brownton on Sunday, August 21st. Play will resume the next Friday August 26th in Glencoe. The Championship game of the Class B State Tournament will be on Sunday August 28 at 2:00 P.M. in Glencoe.